Window Treatments Have Tested Time
Window coverings such as blinds, shades, shutters and draperies that have survived the test of time keep people gravitating to window coverings from the past. With the advancement of technology, some even get a welcomed facelift.
It All Started With Shutters
Back in the 1500’s window glass was hard to get and very expensive, so outside wooden shutters were used to block out cold, heat and light. Later on, the additional of louvers were added to allow air and sun to enter the room.
Over the years, shutters moved inside, advancing from functional to fashionable with a purpose. They started with genuine wood and now we also have hybrid and poly vinyl materials allowing shutters to be used in virtually any room of the home.
Referred to as “furniture for your windows”, Hunter Douglas offers a beautiful line of shutters to meet today’s demands from tilt-bar, no tilt bar systems, hinged, bi-fold, and bypass track systems to motorization. Also, available for specialty shaped windows and are an excellent choice for child and pet safety.
- Heritance® Genuine Hardwood Shutters
- NewStyle® Hybrid Shutters
- Palm Beach™ Polysatin™ Shutters
Drapes & Curtains – Alone or Layered With Other Window Coverings
First used to cover doors rather than windows, draperies were made from heavy tapestry fabrics. When window curtains were added, they were found only in the most important rooms of the house to keep out the cold.
Today, custom drapes and curtains have evolved with easy-to-care fabrics that come in endless colors, patterns and textures ranging from sheer to opaque. The additional of distinctive drapery trims, fringes, borders, hardware, cornices and valances finish the look. Curtain and drapes add interest to the window and either alone or paired with a blind or shade, they will showcase your decorating style.
Roman Shades Did Start in Rome
The Roman Empire created Roman shades to prevent dust, sunlight and hot air from entering their homes by dropping and raising cloth with cords. A classic Roman shade or “flat fold” is comprised of panels of horizontally seamed fabric about 8-10 inches apart that allows the pleats to stack concisely. Made from a single piece of fabric. When raised, it folds up accordion style creating a valance look at the window. From the outside, the cords and cord rings are visible.
Not considered “old-fashioned”, Roman shades continue to be a fashionable choice in window treatments and can be made from a wide variety of fabrics from natural fibers to bold or muted colors and patterns. Hunter Douglas offers the classic Roman shades, as well as a revolutionary twist on how Roman shades operate called Vignette® Modern Roman Shades. Add motorization and you can control your Roman shades with a remote control or with your mobile device.
- Vignette® Modern Roman Shades – Available in different fold styles, sizes, and a horizontal or vertical orientation. Features consistent folds and no exposed rear cords so your shade looks beautiful from the inside and out. When completely raised it folds up into the headrail, so it is completely off the window.
- Designer Studio™ Roman Shades – Available in four distinct styles, in a variety of fabrics like linen, cotton and silk and can be customized with tapes and trims
- Provenance Woven Textures – Available in five styles, hand-woven light-filtering reeds, grasses and woods create a design statement.
Once considered just a functional window treatment, Roman shades have become a decorative focal point in any room.
Venetian Blinds – Mini Blinds – Aluminum Blinds
We don’t know where the Venetian blind originated, however, the creation came from the need to provide a more economical window treatment solution and provide an alternative to drapes or curtains. In the 1930’s, most Venetian 2” blind slats were made from wood or metal.
Thank Hunter Douglas for creating the first light, two-inch aluminum Venetian blind. In 1960 the “mini blind” entered the market featuring a one-inch slat, followed by the half-inch micro blind. Today, Hunter Douglas wood blind collection available in hardwood and faux wood is available in various slat sizes, colors and textures, has regained the popularity in the Venetian blind market.
- Reveal® with MagnaView® Aluminum Blinds – Designed to allow slats to nest together, providing twice the view-through as a standard 2”-slat blind.
- Decor® Aluminum Blinds – The most traditional aluminum blinds in ½” & 1” feature standard cord holes and a contoured designer headrail
- Celebrity® Aluminum Blinds – Back to basics, 1” slat blind offering a wide selection of colors and a beveled headrail
- 2” Macro Aluminum Blinds – A dramatic look for large windows offers a wide view-through with standard de-Light™ feature that hides cord holes and blocks light for better light control.
- Parkland™ Genuine Wood Blinds – Crafted from finest North American hardwoods, includes oak, cherry wood that display natural grain and color variations
- Everwood® Wood Blinds – Alternative wood blind offering white finishes and faux wood-grains in 4 distinct colors. Great for rooms with heat and humidity.
Regardless of your décor style, window treatments from the past with all the innovative technology improvements will add warm, style and charm to any room in your home.
Blinds, Shutters & Roman Shades in Mechanicville & Halfmoon NY Areas
Classic Interiors is your complete home décor source for custom blinds, shades, shutter, draperies, top treatments, reupholstery and more. We service cities within Saratoga, Albany, Schenectady, Rensselear & Warren Counties. Contact us to discuss your window covering ideas today!